Re: Will this work? server+centOS5+100users?

Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:centos-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Les Mikesell
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 12:28 PM
To: centos@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Will this work? server+centOS5+100users?

Ralph Angenendt wrote:
Tomasz Napierała wrote:
It is perfectly possible on CentOS, but I would suggest
dedicated distro like
Openfiler (loosly based on CentOS)
Errm, no. It isn't.

Or SMEserver, which is: http://www.contribs.org. If you have to ask this question, I'd suggest at least looking at SMEserver. If it does what you want it is probably the easiest system to install and manage (all simple web forms). I'm not sure if it's group concepts will do quite what you want, though. You might have to give dept managers full admin access or do certain operations for them.

I'm not sure an appliance is the solution here as the user said it is
the only server, so where is his account information going to reside?

Most appliances don't provide user account management only integration.

SMEserver includes web forms to set up accounts and can act as a windows domain controller. It also provides web, ftp, and email/webmail services and it combines the 'group' concepts for unix permission groups with email groups to simply things. The down side is simply that if it doesn't already do what you want (or have a contributed module) it is much harder to customize that a stock centos - but it does most of what you'd want as a windows server out of the box - and includes some options for backups.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx