Re: How to use a modem under CentOS

It's a "worthless winmodem". I'd suggest throwing it in the trash and
replacing it with an external serial (not USB) modem. I note that as
of this evening, Newegg.com has several such modems, starting from
a low of $17.99 and going up from there. I have no idea if any of them
are any good, YMMV.

OTOH maybe someone else can suggest suitable drivers for the winmodem.
I refuse to use the darn things.

(actually, I lucked out--I found a great industrial-strength Multi-Tech
external modem on ebay a few years ago. it served wonderfully for
several years until we got cable here at the house. I keep it around
in case emergencies arise.)

indeed - i use a few serial based US Robotics modems that connect to our paging system to alert in case of network failure. they just work and winmodems dont.