Re: Re: Opposite of cp -u

Scott Silva wrote:
Robert Moskowitz spake the following on 8/6/2007 2:40 PM:
I had at one point copied a large number of files between drives and did
not use the -p and thus the timestamps were all set to the date of the
copy.

I did not catch this, and deleted the source.  So I 'lived' with it and
have since changed many files.

Well, yesterday I found a good backup of many of those files and I want
to restore them to their proper dates.

cp -p -u is exactly the opposite of what I want.  I want to copy only if
the source files have an earlier date than the destination files.

The source files are just an old copy on another drive that I found when
cleaning up things...
Can you restore the backups, and then cp -u from the existing directory over
the restored copy?
No. Because all the files, changed or not since that date, are newer than what is on the backup. So it would overwrite everything.