Re: Data corruption on external hard disk

Daniel de Kok a écrit :
On Sat, 2007-08-04 at 07:09 +0200, Niki Kovacs wrote:
[kikinovak@buzz:/media/disk/Films] $ ls -l
total 692996
-rw-r----- 1 678756852  34537972 148381783526817280 avr 28 01:01 Cinema
drwxr-xr-x 3 kikinovak kikinovak               4096 mai  9 10:07 Anime
drwxrwxrwx 4 kikinovak kikinovak               4096 mai 10 12:25 Series

Notice that the file size is something like petabytes :oD

Is there any way to repair this obviously corrupt data?

Looks like a broken inode (or incorrect directory entry). I'd make a
backup image of the disk first (if that works without serious errors)
with dd. After that, run a badblocks check, and a fsck.

Argh. Looks like a complete data loss. Well, not complete. Fortunately I had most of it on another PC. I just lost all my films. (Gasp! David Lynch gone, Hitchcock gone, Cronenberg gone...)

Now I reformatted the HD with ext2, and badblocks is currently chugging away for the next few hours probably.

How do broken inodes happen? I'm a bit reluctant - for obvious reasons - to entrust data to that disk again. Can it be that overheating creates read/write errors, without actually corrupting the disk?

Cheers,

Niki