new CentOS 5 install, 'Network is unreachable'

Hi all,

I've a new CentOS 5 minimalist install; this will be the name server from my prior thread.  I have configured eth0 during setup with the static IP the unit will have when in production.  During this setup phase, selinux is set to permissive.

Setting up on a different network, I did this:

dhclient eth0 and successfully got a private address; I also validated that the resolv.conf file was created by the dhclient-script and it was, accurately pointing to my gateway and listing a domain name server by IP.

That's where the fun stops.  Even pinging an IP, so as not to rely on name resolution, I get the dreaded 'Network is unreachable' error.

Any pointers would be more than appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
~Ray