Re: Allocating 64 kbits/s out of 256 kbits/s for one LAN behing firewall

Indunil Jayasooriya wrote:
Now, I want put about 5 people (5 PCs) behind this LAN2 and give internet access to them. But, I do not want them to use my whole bandwidth ( i.e - 256 kbit/s), But Instead, I want peple behind this LAN2 to allocate  64 kbits/s (kilo bits per second) for their internert access.

what if noone on LAN1 is using the net at the moment?  do you still want to restrict LAN2 to 64k?  why waste the bandwidth?

Is it possible to acheive this task on firewall running iptables and iproute2 (CentOS 4.5) ?

If so, How can I do such thing?

the clues are in the LARTC howto (Linux Advanced Routing and Traffic Control)   What you want to do is generally known as 'traffic shaping'.

If I do such thing, what will happen to the people behind LAN1 ? Will they get whole 256 kbits/s as before or will they get 256 kbit/s - 64  kbit/s for their internet access?

you can't get 5 lbs of stuff in a 4 lb. sack.  :)

if you've allowed max 64k for one class of users, and they are actively using it, and your traffic shaping guarantees them that 64k, then there's only 192k left for anyone else.