Re: Re: Mixing RPMforge and EPEL (Was: EPEL repo)

Axel Thimm wrote:
On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 11:29:25AM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
You'll have to remind me why anyone wants different same-named packages with differences the end user doesn't understand and can't control to exist at all before I can comment on a solution about managing them.

Let's assume no one wants that (I think I don't). Shouldn't you be
chasing the repo that just created the duplicates instead of the ones
that supported RHEL/CentOS over years now?

And before you rightfully extend the argument - as far as duplicates
between RPMForge/Dag, Dries, Karan Extras, CentOS Extras SL contrib
and ATrpms are concerned: We're working *together* on eliminating
them.

And yet, conflicts have always kept popping up, and I can't see any provision you make to enable additional repositories to exist without coordinating with your rules. The issue is that there is only one namespace which is the part that doesn't make sense and can't work without a single authority or a hierarchial structure, and I can't come up with a reason that you should be that authority.

We're too old for clone wars, the only kid on the block that
wants to play by its own rules is on another list, go patronize it ;)

The LFHS is the problem here, although putting applications where you want them in the filesystem would make Linux as hard to use as the Mac.
Oh wait...

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx