Re: NIS problems after installation

Paul Heinlein wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007, Steve Strong wrote:

so, i just installed CentOS on our server and set up NIS using the same configuration as on our other server, but the clients' ypbind services complain that although they can find the correct server, the server does not respond to requests.

to debug this, i've:

   *    pinged the server using its ip and it's name
   *    ssh'ed to the server using it's ip and name
   *    ftp'd to the server using its ip and name
   *    used dig to get the server's address from itself (dig @stretch
     stretch.washcslab.org
   *    checked to see that nfs and ypserv are running
   *    checked to see if stretch could bind to it's own nis server

and all of these were successful.  so, I also:

   * run ypserv (on the server) and ypbind (on the server) both in
     debug mode and gotten no errors
   * run ypserv (on the server) and ypbind (on the CLIENT) both in
     debug mode and gotten no errors

any help with this really gnarly bug would be greatly appreciated!
steve

Is ypserv compiled against libwrap? Does there need to be a hosts.allow entry?

Is SELinux enabled? Does /var/log/audit/audit.log show anything?

Is iptables in use? Does an exception need to be made?

Can you attach strace to ypserv and see anything of significance?

ypserv:
i didn't compile it, i used the rpm that is standard with an installation ---

selinux:
disabled (which i hate)

iptables:
how do i go about making an exception -- this seems like the problem, since there is no report of an attempt to connect to ypserv by a client in the debug output of a call to start ypserv

--
Steve Strong
Math and Computer Science