Loss of Prompt & Cursor

When I log into a virtual console as ordinary user, I initially have a prompt & cursor. After I print 24 lines or more, the last visible (24th) line will be data instead of the prompt & cursor. The up arrow no longer gives the previous commands. A clear command will restore the prompt & cursor.

This bug first appeared after I installed CentOS5. I do not believe it is a CentOS5 bug however because when I boot Ubuntu from a LivePC CDROM, the same thing happens.

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance - Bob T.