Re: Virtualization question

On 08/07/2007, at 4:34 AM, Fabian Arrotin wrote:

On Sat, 2007-07-07 at 08:55 -0400, William Warren wrote:
I want to use Centos5 as my host os and virtualize a windows server on it. My question is..do i have to be at the machine to setup the windows server inside the virtual server since windows 2k3 is gui based or can i
do this remotely somehow?
I assume you're talking about Xen virtualization ? (someone already
pointed you to vmware server as well). It's not necessary to be on the
console to install a windows DomU in Xen ... you can use ssh with X
forwarding to launch virt-manager and grab the VirtualFrameBuffer
console (either from virt-manager or directly with vnc).
Don't forget to consult the wiki page about windows on Xen :
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Xen/InstallingHVMDomU
BTW : don't forget also that, at this time, windows performances on xen
are *really* bad in comparison with the same windows on vmware server
(no windows drivers available for xen guests , but vmware service tools,
aka drivers, available for Vmware guests.)

There are drivers available for Windows, but you'll need to purchase the commercial version of Xen to get these....

And you need also a processor with VT (Intel) or V-Pacifica (AMD) to
support full-virtualization on Xen ....

Ahhh VT - that's the one :)

--
Steven Haigh