Re: Centos 5 32-bit vs 64-bit question

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007, Jim Perrin wrote:

On 7/2/07, Scott Ehrlich <scott@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Nothing, so far, is producing a custom banner prior to login.

Is this an issue with CentOS 5, an issue with the 64-bit version, or
something else I need to learn?

Depends on where you want the banner. For display before anyone enters
any information, I create a custom gdm theme with the text in it. This
way the see it before they enter any info at all.

For click-through acceptance, you can use gdialog within gdm to make
people go through a yes/no acceptance type.

While it's for el3, it should work for el5 also. There are probably
easier ways to accomplish this, but hey...

http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_79_8398.shtm

Hi Jim:

That was perfect! gdialong --yesno "my banner" as the first line in Xsession works like a charm.

Now, onto PAM - /etc/pam.d/blah.conf claims in the header comments that the file is autogenerated and any edits will be lost. So what is the proper way to make changes that WILL stick?

I'm new to the PAM world.

Thanks again.

Scott