Re: mounting an lvm partition via a USB adapter

Luciano Rocha wrote:
On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 08:10:28AM -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
I am trying to mount this (my old hard drive) from my Centos 5 install as a USB drive so I can copy files over.

The second partition, /dev/sda2 is the one I really want and it is an lvm partition. When I am booted from this drive (as the installed IDE drive, not as a usb drive) has for its /etc/fstab:

 # This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
 /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
 LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
 none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
 none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
 /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol02 /home                   ext3    defaults        1 2
 none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
 none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
 /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

But I do not see any /dev/Vol... when I boot from my Centos 5 drive (oh, I have labeled the lvm partitions on that drive to start with Centos5 so that its labels are different from my Centos 4 drive lablels).

vgscan ; vgchange -ay VolGroup00
I will give this a try, shortly.
If the volume group happens to be the same as the one you're using on
your new system,
I was careful to give the new drive a different name than the old one.... So I suspect I am set for this.
 then that will probably fail, and I suggest renaming
your current volume group using a rescue cd (don't forget to recreate
the initrd, as it has the vg hardcoded).