Re: which commands do you use to SSL certify your own server?

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, M. Fioretti wrote:

1) Run

openssl req \
  -x509 -nodes -days 365 \
  -subj '/C=US/ST=Oregon/L=Portland/CN=www.madboa.com' \
  -newkey rsa:1024 -keyout mycert.pem -out mycert.pem

this would be the one-command version of running CA -newreq -nodes,
after placing the right values of C, ST, L, CN, etc... in openssl.cnf,
right?

Right.

Still to be 100% sure of what we are saying: the command above self-signs keys and certificate and puts both of them in the mycert.pem file, correct?

Right.

Also, if you're doing this on a private server, you can keep the cert and the key in the same file.

I assume by "private" here you mean "a server which is only used by the members of a closed organization (business, charity, whatever...) but is not used as an ISP to the public", right?

Right. I use "private" in the sense of "I trust that users with login privileges to this machine won't abuse it or intentionally try to access data that's off-limits to them."

I'd just give it 0600 perms no matter where you put it.

0600 and ownership root, of course?

Yes.

Sorry for the repeated questions, but I must say that ssl is one of the fields where the available docs are less clear to non-professionals. It seems to take a lot of effort to just figure out which are the right questions to ask...

I agree whole-heartedly. Building and maintaining an infrastructure to support SSL-enabled applications is a daunting task, and quite different from learning SSL programming or theory. Anyone looking to write for O'Reilly could probably pitch such a title! :-)

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein@xxxxxxxxxx <> www.madboa.com