Re: Crazy - Re: Centos 5, X dies, I cry

Bart Schaefer wrote:
On 6/13/07, Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It seems to be a timing problem.  And I do not know what else.

This sounds similar to something I encountered after first installing
CentOS5.0 on my pavilion laptop.  See thread "CentOS 5: GDM starts,
but console doesn't switch VTs" (which isn't really a thread, as no
one replied to me either).  It rarely happens now that I've installed
all the updates, but does still happen occasionally.
I will look for it. I am all current on updates other than for BIND and OpenOffice (that I want to grab 2.1 from their site, not the 2.0 update from the repo).
Have you tried pressing Alt-F7 after you get the text console prompt?
Didn't do anything. When I run top, I don't see X. I am pretty sure it crashed and burned.
I'm also a tad puzzled by why you keep resorting to pulling out the
battery.  Holding the power button down for 6-10 seconds doesn't get
you powered off so that on the next power-on it does a full restart?
I've never had to remove a laptop battery except when it needed
replacing because it wouldn't hold a charge.
Not on my HP Compaq NC4010. No matter what I do with the settings, If I get wedged, the power button is just a pretty decoration.
In your earlier post you said:

> I have tried to mount that drive via a USB connector, but automount is
> not handling it, and I don't know how to start working out mounting it
> manually.

Does that mean that some part of your CentOS install is on an external
USB drive?  In my not-very-extensive experience with running CentOS on
laptops, suspend and especially hibernate does not work unless all the
essential components (/etc, /boot, and so on) are on the internal hard
drive.  Perhaps that's just a RedHat shortcoming, or perhaps someone
else can explain workarounds.  (May need a new thread to get anyone's
attention.)
No. I did the Centos 5 on a new drive. This way I could make sure everything worked before messing with my production environment. I was careful to name all the LVM units something different from my 4.5 drive, but when I put the drive in the USB interface thing, other that the drive spinning up, I could not see anything to indicate a USB drive available. And I have done the kernel change to support multiple drives in a USB device.