Crazy - Re: Centos 5, X dies, I cry

It seems to be a timing problem.  And I do not know what else.

Perhaps I need to do more tresting, but each test takes around 10 min. I have to boot, see it fail to go into X, try something reboot....

I have noticed that if I run pm-suspend and power back up, watch the system hang, pull the AC and the battery, and power up, I get into X. Strange?

But in the last few rounds, while services were loading, I did not do an <alt-D> to see details and X did not crash. Seems to be a timing issue... ???

Now my display is set for the one I have in my NOC, not the one here in my office. I tried to change it and although I am told the update to xorg.conf was made, no changes were made. I guess next time I will log in as root instead of chancing su...

ARGH!!!!!

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
I just installed Centos 5 for my notebook (HP compaq nc4010) on a separate drive (than this one that has Centos 4.5).

When I first booted after all the setup, X did not start.  hmm.

Rebooted, and X came up fine. I did a bunch of customizing and upgraded the kernel

Rebooted, X did not start.

Rebooted X started fine. I checked some things out then tried the Suspend feature. Not supprisingly, the system would not come back properly out of suspend. So I pulled the battery and rebooted. Now no X.

I looked at the Xorg.0.log and did see one error (but did not write it down, grrr).

I have tried to mount that drive via a USB connector, but automount is not handling it, and I don't know how to start working out mounting it manually.

SO....

What happened? Oh, not nVidea (or whatever those threads on a video problem is). My video card is the:
"ATI Technologies Inc PCI Bridge [IGP 340M]"

Is something still wrong becuase of the attempt to try Suspend? Where do I look and what do I change?

Possiblely I messed up in customizing? But I did run system-config-display and set things as they are here in Centos 4.5, and rebooted. No change....

please help!