Re: SSH suddenly started failing :(

Paul Heinlein wrote:
On Thu, 7 Jun 2007, John Lagrue wrote:

I am running a VNC onto the server, and using a window in there can switch users quite happily. But nobody can ssh into the server.

My only thought is that a few days ago I changed the hostname using system-network-config but I am pretty certain that I could still ssh in after doing that. It just stopped working this morning.

I've even tried rebooting in case there were odd processes hanging about, but that's made no difference. At the moment I'm totally stuck!

Try a different tack. Get a root shell on the machine in question and fire up sshd in no-fork mode under strace:

  strace -o /tmp/ssh.trace sshd -D -p 2222

Then try to ssh into that machine on port 2222 (or whatever you choose). Assuming it fails, close down the temporary sshd and point $PAGER at /tmp/ssh.trace. The failure point will likely be about 90% of the way through the file. (The end of the file will be related to closing down sshd).

I tried that, and monitored the ssh.trace file with tail-f in another window. There were no obvious signs of error, only what looks like a child starting and then exiting. Mind you, it's been a fair few years since I last looked at a trace file!