Re: how to upgrade Centos 5 correctly?

Robinson Tiemuqinke wrote:
 My basic situation is: hundred of machines will be
installed with Centos 5.0 by means of kickstart. and
then the machines will always uses Centos 5.0
kickstart images for initial installation, not Centos
5.1, Centos 5.2, etc.

This should work.

As I understand it, as long as you have the latest packages, you have "5.1" or "5.2", regardless of what kickstart image you started with.

So, what I do is rsync (from one of the mirrors to my local repo) these directories:
centos/5/os/i386/
centos/5/updates/i386/
centos/5/os/x86_64/
centos/5/updates/x86_64/

Then, when I do a kickstart, it points to my local repo above. So, the instant I'm done installing a machine, it will always be at the latest release for all packages and the OS.

(And then, of course, use a cron job to continually keep the machine updated.)

johnn