Re: Error on sound files with totem removed

On 6/5/07, Niki Kovacs <contact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Mark Hull-Richter a écrit :
> I decided to go ahead and remove totem (don't much care for it
> anyway), and when I double-click a sound file in nautilus, it runs
> mplayer to play the file

What sound file? ogg? mp3? mpc? wma? wav? (ace? flac?)

Okay, this is weird.  It's not happening today.  It was happening
yesterday with mp3 files, but I didn't try any others (not sure I have
any except a bunch of mp3s and one wav file).

Another weird: when I hover my cursor over the one .wav files I have
on this machine, it plays it - if I double click it, I get two
mplayers playing it (out of sync - really weird!) and the error (but
this makes sense).

In fact, today I can connect my Windows VM to the sound device, no problem.

I would say "never mind" but there is one more strange thing: when I
right click on a sound file and try to get the properties, I get an
error window that says: "Couldn't load the 'Properties dialog'
interface. Make sure that Totem is properly installed."  Then I get
another window that says: "Creating Properties window.  You can stop
this operation by clicking cancel."  When I click the "Ok" button in
the first error window, the second one goes away and a properties
dialog comes up.  BUT I can't access the audio properties of the file
- they're blank (probably a totem thing).

This is moving OT since it is clearly not a CentOS problem but a Gnome
problem, so I'll pursue it there, but does anyone else have an idea of
what's going on here?

Install xmms and xmms-mp3. Then find some SRPMs for xmms-wma and
xmms-musepack on freshrpms. Check wiki.centos.org for how to build up a
build environment for a simple user, it's very straightforward.

Then right-click on your respective sound files -> Properties -> choose
to open them with XMMS.

Thanks, but:
1) I should be able to choose my favorite player and have it work
(mplayer does just fine)
and
2) While I might try out xmms, that shouldn't be the solution.

Shoulding a lot, here, aren't I?

Do I have to reinstall totem to get nautilus to read the audio file
properties properly?  That seems a little too interconnected for
packages that ought to be independent (see? I can say "ought to"
instead of "should," too :-).

Thanks.

--
Mark Hull-Richter