Problems setting up legacy NVidia card

Hi,

Here's my video card:

$ lspci | grep -i vga
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV15 [GeForce2 GTS/Pro] (rev a3)

Until now, I've used it on Slackware (10.0, 10.2, 11.0) and Debian (Sarge, Etch), and I've always managed to set it up fine.

First, I checked if there were any precompiled nvidia drivers in the various repos (rpmforge, ...), but there seemed to be only recent drivers.

So I went to the nvidia site and downloaded the corresponding driver for my card:

NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7185-pkg1.run

I also updated my kernel, and then 'yum install kernel-devel gcc'.

After doing this, it was time for 'init 3'.

I started the installer:

# sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7185-pkg1.run

I went through the steps like I've done a few times before, and it didn't complain about anything.

I then opened /etc/X11/xorg.conf, searched for the Driver section and replaced "nv" by "nvidia".

To be on the safe side, I rebooted. (I've had some strange GDM problems before when simply doing init 5).

My default screen resolution on my 17'' flat monitor is 1024x768. (The CentOS installer defaulted to 1280x1024, but I manually edited xorg.conf to change it). Now, after starting X with the "nvidia" driver, curiously I had a resolution that looked more like 800x600 (and curiously reminded me of a default Windows 95 install :o))

I opened a console with Ctrl-Alt-F6, opened /etc/X11/xorg.conf to look for a mistake... and noticed something strange. xorg.conf looks now curiously amputated. Here's the whole file, or what's left of it:

--8<-------------------------------------------------
# Xorg configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "Default Layout"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"
	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc105"
	Option	    "XkbLayout" "ch"
	Option	    "XkbVariant" "fr"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Videocard0"
	Driver      "nvidia"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Videocard0"
	DefaultDepth     16
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     24
		Modes "1024x768"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

This leaves me a bit clueless.

Where has my original xorg.conf (the long version) gone? Is there a way to get it back somehow? And where does this new - and severely truncated xorg.conf file come from?

Any suggestions?

Niki
--
Dyslexics have more fnu.