Re: Re : Coping music from tapes

boisvert.guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

----- Message d'origine -----
De: Ioannis Vranos <ivranos@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Vendredi, Mai 25, 2007 3:12 pm
Objet:  Coping music from tapes
À: centos@xxxxxxxxxx

 > OS: CentOS 5.0 x86.
 >
 > Hi, I have some old music tapes and a walkman, and want to move
 > the
 > music to mp3 format. So far I am thinking to use Audacity to
 > record the
 > music to wavs, and then do not know, somehow I will compress the
 > wavs to
 > mp3s as vbr 192 Kbps with something.
 >

 > Has anyone done this? What app did you use for recording the
 > music from
 > the tapes and what app did you use to make it mp3? Unfortunately
 > my mp3
 > player doesn't support ogg vorbis, so this is not an option.
 >

 > Thanks in advance.

Hi!

I'm a DJ and i still do it very often.

I use Adobe Audition (Audacity will do too).  I remove clicks and pops.

Then i save my master in FLAC format using the FLAC plugin. I dunno about FLAC and Audacity but at least, you could save uncompressed and use the FLAC codec afterwards. It's always a good idea to save your master in FLAC (Lossless compression) so you can re-edit your files afterwards without starting from a lossy compressed file (MP3 is lossy, it degrades every time you save).

After that, i generate the MP3 with LAME, piping FLAC decoder into the LAME MP3 codec.

I use MP3 VBR, quality level 1.

LAME is one of the best MP3 Compressor and is free (same for FLAC).

As for the ID3 tags, i standardized with ID3 v2 and i don't use v1 inside the same file (using to hearders inside the same MP3 is source of problem from time to time). There are a couple of good masstaggers so your could use that to save time.

Finally, i use MP3Gain to adjust the gain of all my files to 90 db.

Hope this helped.

Guy Boisvert

If I am not mistaken Audacity uses use the Lame encoder to do mp3. At some point, not sure weather it was in windoze or Linux, I had to install the codec myself. And very true always have a master in a Lossless compression format. That is very important.

Jean