Re: Squid +Yum = apt-cacher?

Lorenzo wrote:
Matt Shields ha scritto:
I know up2date can be configured to save all RPMs it
installs/upgrades.  Can yum be made to do the same.  If so, have 1
server connect to the mirrors, have it save all the rpms into a
directory, run createrepo every so often to update the directory, and
share out that directory with ftp or http so that your other servers
can download the packages.

Or do like I do, have 1 server that you use for imaging all my servers
and mirror the CentOS repos, then I run Apache and have my local
servers connect to that local repo.  You don't even have to mirror the
entire repo if you don't want.

Since I'm on a testing stage, installing, upgrading, and re-installing several times with slightly different setups and so on, I think the easiest way would be to only configure one proxy line on yum.conf on each new installation than playing each time with the .repo files on /etc/yum.repos.d or moving around RPMs between systems... after all what I need is a proxy-cache which knows how to handle RPMs: am I wrong?

A proxy doesn't need to know anything about RPM's - it's like any other httpd request through a proxy. It just needs to be configured to cache large files. And you don't even need to configure anything - you can pass the proxy in the environment, even on the command line like:
http_proxy=http://my_proxy.domain.com:port yum update
What you need is a yum that always uses the same URL to request the same file. The default is to pick something randomly from a list of mirrors.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx