Re: vmware tools in CentOS5 guest?

Ken Key wrote:
Les Mikesell wrote:
Does anyone have vmware-tools from the recent server 1.03 release running in a CentOS5 guest VM? vmware-config-tools.pl goes through the motions except for building the vmhgfs module (which it says is only needed for mapping the host file system) but then X won't start up with the new configuration.

Yup, had the same problem.  The vmware-config-tools.pl fails to write
a Monitor section in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  I add the following to all
of mine:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier      "vmware"
    VendorName      "VMware, Inc"
    HorizSync 1-10000
    VertRefresh 1-10000
EndSection

I got the above values from doing an X -configure in the VM. Unfortunately, *that* hangs the display and requires a restart.
It also generates a massive number of unnecessary ModeLines.
Just adding the above section to my VMs was my quickest solution.

Hope this helps,

Thanks - it works now, but it seems like I have to run vmware-toolbox inside the X session to make it release the mouse at the edge of the window without the ctl-alt keystroke. I didn't think earlier versions needed that, or started it automatically. Is something else missing?

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx