Re: Error building kernel for CentOS 5.0

On 5/21/07, Jim Perrin <jperrin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 5/21/07, Mark Hull-Richter <mhullrich@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ah, of course - the confrontational approach.  I love it!

If you want to take it as such, that is of course your perogative. To
me it's simply a display of facts.

I do not consider someone calling me lazy a display of fact.  I do
consider it confrontational, and, at least in this case, unnecessarily
so.

You may have differences on your
system other than what Karanbir has. So even with two identical files,
you may still have differences. Posting your version of the rpmmacros
file won't help us find those. You comparing build logs will.

It might, but I have no particular desire, absent other compelling
input, to wade through a 52817 line diff.  If you do, my hat's off to
you, or would be if I wore one.

Because scripted (rpmbuild and specfile) builds are reproduceable in
similar manner, using diff will let you identify differences with line
number tagging. Makes things simple.

I have used diff for years for this and other, far less complex
issues, but I dare say even you would not prefer to plow (or wade)
through a 52000+ line diff.

Among other things, there are differences related to the build
directory, my excluding xen and including jfs and xfs.  Should the new
kernel not function properly, I will be delighted (sort of) to go back
and use the plain vanilla spec file and grep out the build dir
differences.

FWIW, diff was a great suggestion; my issue was with the context (see above).

--
Mark Hull-Richter
DATAllegro (www.datallegro.com)