Re: vmware tools in CentOS5 guest?

Ken Key wrote:
Les Mikesell wrote:
Does anyone have vmware-tools from the recent server 1.03 release running in a CentOS5 guest VM? vmware-config-tools.pl goes through the motions except for building the vmhgfs module (which it says is only needed for mapping the host file system) but then X won't start up with the new configuration.

Yup, had the same problem.  The vmware-config-tools.pl fails to write
a Monitor section in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  I add the following to all
of mine:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier      "vmware"
    VendorName      "VMware, Inc"
    HorizSync 1-10000
    VertRefresh 1-10000
EndSection

I got the above values from doing an X -configure in the VM. Unfortunately, *that* hangs the display and requires a restart.
It also generates a massive number of unnecessary ModeLines.
Just adding the above section to my VMs was my quickest solution.

Hope this helps,

Either of you notice poor performance? My mouse is jumpy and freezes, especially when I try to resize a terminal window. The whole thing feels slugish. This is with vmware workstation 6 and either Lunar Linux or Ubuntu as a host. I'm sure other distros as hosts.

--
Paul Norton
System Administrator