Re: alpha server for CentOS

On 5/17/07, Abba Communications <lists06@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Did CentOS get an alpha yet

How does this one look?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160115818814

will it do the job or not?

Well.. depends on the job, etc you want on it. A 667 Mhz alpha is the
equiv speed of a 166 to 300 Mhz Pentium box (if I remember the
building speeds on the old alphas we had). It would probably take 6-8
weeks to compile the entire distro on it... but we would probably want
only a ServerCD version.. as trying to fix things like OpenOffice etc
would just not be fun without a bucket of cash.. and then it would
just be a bucket of cash :)

What are the customers needs for hardware, software, services? How
many people are going to champion this?