Re: Introduction

Dag Wieers a écrit :

Hi Niki,

Hi Dag,

I maintain an add-on repository for CentOS called RPMforge.

Yeah, I just discovered - and configured - it.

I'm very interested to look at the hardware issues you may have and see how we can fix them using dkms modules. Of course, fixing and packaging hardware drivers requires some investigation and guidance from you.

Besides various ATI and NVidia cards, my main issue are wireless cards, namely:

- RT2500
- RT2561
- Intel Pro 3945

I'm currently busy sinking my teeth into the CentOS docs, to get a firmer grasp of the Red Hat way to do things. This will take me a few days, maybe weeks. If not months. Right now for example, I have to rebuild my kernel - to enable one option (VESA) and disable one other (SMP, which causes the system to freeze with the rt61 driver). I know how to do this with Slackware and Debian, but I want to do it the proper Red Hat way with CentOS, which is essentially new to me.

Let me know what I can assist you with.

A very good thing to do would be to provide source RPM packages for various drivers. I don't know exactly if this is feasible, but let me give you an example. To install and configure an RT2500 wireless card with Debian, all you have to do is this:

# apt-get install module-assistant
# module-assistant prepare --> this fetches all the tools necessary for compilation
# apt-get install rt2500-source
# module-assistant auto-install rt2500-source --> builds the module as a .deb package and installs it for the running kernel
# modprobe rt2500
# ifconfig -a
Etcetera... dead easy. (Well, no, dead easy is Ubuntu that already *has* all these modules available by default :o/ )

On the other hand, there seem to be way less stock kernels around with CentOS than with Debian, so featuring binary modules would be somewhat easier to maintain. I don't know.

Anyway, thanks for the kind offer of help. As we say in my native Austria: Eine Hand wäscht die andere. One hand washes the other one.

Cheers,

Niki
--
Dyslexics have more fnu.