Re: CentOS 5 ssloooowww when network unavailable

John Newbigin ha scritto:
Sounds like DNS.

At a guess, I would try adding your hostname to the /etc/hosts file and set either a permanent IP address, or use 127.0.0.1

John.

I agree with John: the communications between the server and the client under X are trying to resolve the hostname which fails and they have to wait for the DNS query timeout.

The solution is to put the hostname on the 127.0.0.1 line in /etc/hosts
If you want to be able to call the "official" address, put the full hostname.domain on a separate line on /etc/hosts

I feel my english writing skills not adequate, so I write an example to explain better:

/etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1       linux   localhost.localdomain   localhost
192.168.0.1	linux.mydomain.com

so if I ping linux I ping the loopback address; if I ping linux.mydomain.com I ping the ethernet address.

As I know GDM and X uses the short name, hence the "trick": even if the ethernet cable is unplugged (and 192.168.0.1 doesn't exists) all is fast and working.

Bye

Lorenzo