Re: Problems running programs compiled unter Centos 5 on Centos 4 machines

On 5/10/07, Bernhard Gschaider <bgschaid_lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I know this is quite a handwaving, stupid question, but I don't know
where else to ask it and maybe somebody here can at least point me
into the right direction, because I'm stuck.

I have a program package that were using here (OpenFOAM for those who
know it). My problem is that when I compile and link this package on
CentOS 5, it won't run on CentOS 4.x-machines but stops with a
floating-point-exception. The funny thing is that my experiments with
strace and gdb indicate that the problems occur during the loading of
an .so (that does not belong to the package). I was able to remove
that so from the build, the program then failed with similar symptoms
at another library.

You can't do this as the libraries, glibc, and gcc versions are all
different between centos4 and centos5.

Has anyone here seen similar behaviour and what would be a possible
solution? (to compile under 5 in such a way that it runs on 4)

You can only do this if you're building in a chrooted environment with
the c4 libs. You'd have to use a tool like mock to do this.

Any hints (how trivial they may appear to you) are most welcome.

Doing things like this are getting easier, but I wouldn't call them
'trivial' just yet.

George Orwell