Re: Re: Anaconda doesn't support raid10

Ruslan Sivak wrote:

I'm not looking for total reliability. I am building a low budget file/backup server. I would like it to be fairly reliable with good performance. Basically if 1 drive fails, I would like to still be up and running, even if it requires slight reconfigurations (ie recreating the swap partition).

I like to keep things simple-minded and not fight with anadconda. During the install, put /boot, swap, and / on your first 2 drives as RAID1. After that works the way you want, build whatever layout you want with the rest of your space and either move your /home contents and mount point over or mount it somewhere else. A nice feature of this approach is that you can upgrade to pretty much any other version/distro by building a new set of system disks and swapping them in, keeping your data intact. I also like to use disks in swappable carriers and to keep a spare chassis around. That way you can use it for testing things and developing your next version but if your production motherboard fails you can just move the drives to it and keep going.

If 2 drives fail, I would like to still be able to be up and running assuming I wasn't unlucky enough to have 2 drives fail in the same mirror set.
If 3 drives fail, I'm pretty much SOL.
The most important thing is that I can easily survive a single disk failure.

If you can deal with the space constraints of partitions that match single disk sizes by mounting them in appropriate places it's hard to beat RAID1. If everything fries except one drive you can still recover the data that was on it - plus it gives you natural boundaries for backups which you shouldn't ignore just because you have raid.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx