Re: rsync problems on windows - Solved

Les Mikesell wrote:
Ruslan Sivak wrote:
Les Mikesell wrote:
Russ wrote:
I'm not running any firewalls AFAIK. I disabled mcafee, but the error persists. I even tried a different os (win 2003, no firewall, no antivirus) and I'm still getting the same problem. Any way to troubleshoot? I tried wireshark, but I all I are are encrypted packets and a rst at the end from the client.

Also the error pops up intantrneously, no timeout. It then hangs until I ctrl-c out of it. Ssh works fine btw. I can use it and get a shell.

I looked at the rsync.c file, but couldn't locate that error text anywhere. Is that an error from rsync or ssh? Is there a way to tell it not to use ssh to eliminate it as a problem?

I just downloaded a current cwrsync and was able to cd into its bin directory and 'rsync -av . root@centos_box:/tmp/test' without any problems. Maybe you have a problem with paths or another copy of the cygwin.dll somewhere.

I checked for any other versions of cygwin1.dll, and although there were a few, they weren't in the path. I finally got process monitor and process explorer and saw that for some reason it was using hlcap.dll. I guess HTTPLook caused yet another problem. Thanks to everyone that helped. Does anyone know of a program like httplook for windows that doesn't break everything?

I'm not quite sure what it does (its home page seems to redirect to something in Russian), but if you want generic network sniffer, try wireshark: http://www.wireshark.org/.

I do have wireshark, but HTTPLook is better in that it captures only HTTP traffic, which is all I'm interested in. It organizes it in a nice timeline of requests and responses and I can see exactly what went on for each request.
RUss