Re: Sftp slow on both our centos installs

Matt Martz wrote:

I did some quick research on google a few min ago.  Thinking back I have
never seen higher than 2MB/s transfer speed using sftp between a Windows
and Linux machine.  I have however seen much higher transfer speeds using
sftp/scp between 2 linux machines.

A few people mentioned they believe the slowness is with the
implementation of sftp/scp/ssh in the Windows app.

Try doing an sftp or scp transfer between the 2 CentOS machines and look
at the transfer rate.  You could also try doing a transfer using Cygwin or
maybe some other win32 ports.  However it may just be somehting strange
with Windows.

...While typing this I figured I would do some additional testing.  I
downloaded VanDyke SecureFX (VanDyke has some of the best SSH
implementations I have seen for windows).  My transfer rate was approx
10MB/s on a 100Mbit connection.  Whereas with WinSCP and FileZilla it was
only approx 2MB/s

This message reminded me that Winblowz's (at least up to XP) network stack is optimised for dial up speeds, and required tweaking for broadband. Things like "TCP Window", MTU, and other stuff I don't remember now anymore. I suppose you have to tweak it by yourself, there was an app I was using for it on the net. Don't remember it though, but I think a Google search will give you it.

Ah, those glorious Winblowz days...