Re: New lists

Steven Haigh wrote:
Quoting MrKiwi <mrkiwi@xxxxxxxxx>:
John Summerfield wrote:
I don't understand the current rationale for a single CentOS users' list; probably in times past it was sensible, but I think the time has come for splitting the list by release.

I'm speaking from my own perspective, but I'm sure others have similar stories. How many users use all CentOS releases?
I totally agree John - as CentOS gets more popular i too have found
myself using 'Mark folder as Read' too often.

This is a good thing. I've just left the Fedora Core mailing lists (users & devel) and the traffic didn't bother me at all. It's a great

Not everyone can have such a fine Internet connexion.

Splitting by version is usually a bad idea. It causes things to split, people post the wrong version information to the wrong lists and it becomes a PITA. Hell, I've noticed enough people whinge and moan about top posting... Imagine that on someone posting a v5 question to a v4 list!

I thought it worked very well indeed with Red Hat Linux. I note that Red Hat continues with that plan with RHEL.

A point that may mitigate the need to act now: I have seen the volume
of mail surge about t-2_months before the launch of v5 - and i wasnt
here for the launch of 4.0 -> 4.4, but would you not expect a lot of
noise to dissipate soon now we are t+2_weeks?

This depends on your definition of noise. As long as the posts are CentOS related, I wouldn't care if there was 100 or 1000 posts per day.

1000 posts/day would certainly see me out. You're an obvious candidate to remain on all lists. I'm battling with my modem's load right now, I'm looking to cull what's less important.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait