Re: installing raid1 via serial terminal during install

Dave wrote:
Hello,
I'm wanting to install centos via serial terminal on to a box without monitor. It will be administered remotely via ssh. I've got two disks in it and would like to use raid1 with this system, but i'd like to get this going preferably during or immediately after the install. My problem as i see it is installing grub on to both hard disks, you have to get a shell window during the install for that otherwise the box won't boot. Does anyone have this working?
Thanks.
Dave.

Yes. PXE + dhcp + pxegrub + tftp + installation image and initrd.

Rebuilt grub to enable network support and to stuff in a default menu that makes it let you use grub over the serial terminal.

If you must use the CD, then you need to pass something like 'console=ttyS0,9600' to the kernel.

After installation, anaconda should create appropriate grub menu entries. If not, look at the sample below.

serial --unit=0 --speed=9600
terminal --timeout=2 serial console

However, what do you mean by 'installing grub on to both disks, you have to get a shell window during the install'?

Are you trying to get around the first disk fails and the system does not boot up any more problem? That is fixed on Centos 5/RHEL 5.