Re: FreeNX authenticates but no desktop on centos 5 ??

Jeremy Gray wrote:
a final-final note (and then I'll really clam up, promise!): I just tried to
connect from an nxclient running on windows (an intel mac runing windows in
bootcamp), and got the same thing: the nxclient authenticates but no desktop
when the nxserver is on centos 5, whereas it conects fine to centos 4.4 as
the nxserver (here with x-win32 as the X11 window running on the client
side).

so to recap, my little issue (freenx authenticates but no desktop, on a
centos 5 but not a centos 4 machine as nxserver) happens from both mac and
windows nxclient. I think this narrows it down to something about my centos
5 nxserver (that machine), and something that is not: the firewall or
SELinux (same thing with the firewall disabled & selinux permissive), gnome
(the console and vnc give me a clean gnome session with the same user
account), authentication key issues (authenticates just fine), a specific
user account (same for new account), or ssl encryption (enabled), run level
or ssh forwarding (these are not supposed to matter much; I'm at run level 5
with ssh forwarding enabled).

Why don't you try a fresh centos5 install and a simple 'yum install freenx' to see if that works for you? If you don't have a spare text box you can do it under vmware. If that works, then you can compare the working configuration to the one that doesn't work to pin down the difference.

The only other thing I can think of is that the connection may be trying to restore a broken session or one that doesn't really exist. I used to see that on older versions of freenx but I've forgotten how to clean up the session info.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx