Re: Isa Soundcard under CentOS 5

Olaf Mueller wrote:

Yes, this could be a way. Initially I have chosen CentOS 5 for my
admittedly very old but also nice notebook toshiba tecra 8000 cause of
the long term support that CentOS has. This notebook has seen all the
fedora core versions from 1 to 6. And after each new upgrade something
get wrong, usually the isa sound card stops the work. My hope was to
install CentOS once and getting all the things run, yum will do the
rest and I get peace for a few years. But if I had to build my own
kernel, I will get no peace.

I am completely happy with CentOS 5 on my server. It would be great to
have such a nice system also on my notebook.

regards
Olaf

Is there a reason you do not want to run one of the Fedora Cores that worked (other than support)? I ran Fedora Core 1 on a server until just very recently. The only reason I upgraded the OS was because I was also upgrading the hardware; otherwise, I would have just left what was working alone. If your notebook works fine with one of the older kernels, just run that one. As long as you are not running a web server or something that will be constantly scanned by the script kiddies, you should not have any problems.

Patrick