Re: recording sound: how 2 control recording level?

fredex wrote:

I'm wondering if I should change my desktop to KDE and try with its sound
tools. I suppose it couldn't harm anything to try.

You can use KDE if you want, of course system-wide settings and user-wide settings apply in both. You can also run under GNOME, or even add to the GNOME menus the KDE applications that you like. Also CentOS 5 is far superior to CentOS 4, regarding user apps and tools, so perhaps you may want to give CentOS 5.0 a try, it is very good and *faster*!

What's your sound card BTW? Perhaps you may have some driver problem?