Re: linuxthreads & Printers in Centos5...

Jake Grimmett a écrit :
Pierre, many thanks for your help.

I think I might need a compat-glibc for the "n-2 distro" as linuxthreads support was removed from Centos5; from the RHEL-4 release-notes:

"support for LinuxThreads still exists for RHEL 4, ...advance notice that Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 will no longer include support for LinuxThreads. Thus applications that require LinuxThreads support must be updated before they will be able to work properly on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 system."

In RHEL4 the solution was to one of the following:
1) Use LD_ASSUME_KERNEL environment variable or 2) Use an explicit rpath to /lib/i686/ or /lib/ to select LinuxThreads instead of NPTL at runtime

I used solution #1 to get InsightII to run under Centos4. Is there any (reasonable) chance of providing older (=Centos3) libraries under Centos5 for one errant program?

Along with the virtualization solution, you could try to play with the compat-* packages from ce4 : try to install them directly on ce5. It may hurt on runtime, because the library loader of ce5 can be incompatible with its package objects (.so, binaries) ?

In this case, you can try to rebuild compat-*-ce4 package(s) from source (SRPM) on a CentOS-5 ...

In both cases, you will have to deal closely with gcc $LD_LIBRARY_PATH and so one ...

I don't know how compat* packages are build, esp. with which version of gcc, but everything should be written (explained ?) in .spec file ?

If a RPM packager expert on compat* packages has some clues, it will be nice ...

Pierre