Re: CentOS 5 sound problems on ICH5

Jon Jahren wrote:
chrism@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Which motherboard is it? What does dmesg have to say when the sound hardware gets rousted at boot time?

Cheers,

It's a MSI Neo2-P 865PE, dmesg says lots of stuff so I attached the /var/log/dmesg file, tried grepping for snd, intel_snd8x0, and realtek. I don't really know what I'm looking for.

Have you made sure that your sound chipset is supported? That board appears to use the *C-Media 9739A. Here's a snippet I found in a quick google search that might help:*

**

*
*

     4.5. Sound

       4.5.1. Onboard: SiS 7012 (CMedia 9739A)

The required drivers are:

   *

     ALSA: snd-intel8x0

   *

     OSS: i810_audio

The following switches (e.g. kmix) have to be set correctly, otherwise there is no sound (this actually took me days to figure out):

   *

     PCM: unmute

   *

     IEC958 Capture Monitor: mute

The volume slides don't have any impact. According to the alsa-project mailing list this seems to be a hardware restriction. No resolution available right now, recommendation is to install another sound card (e.g. SB). I have checked this for OSS and found the same result.

*

*