Re: [CentOS-devel] Re: Re: Jigdoes of CentOS 4.4 and 5.0 i386/x86_64 CD/DVD available.

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007, Maciej ¯enczykowski wrote:

But --- does jigdo have any kind of indirection in place , eg to get a
list of mirrors and use them ??

It does use a list of mirros for the debian.  I haven't really looked
into it too deeply.
Furthermore the jigdo-lite program is really just a shell script -
should be easy to get it to behave however we want it (it just runs
wget).

Or could yum be used as a wrapper around jigdo maybe to pull stuff down
using fastestmirror or maybe even dags stuff ??

I would really like to see dynamic DNS resolution based on source IP
giving out the address of the nearest centos compatible mirror - then
it would 'just work'.

see below re cnames ...

we really need to push the bandwidth out to external mirrors - and 302's are messy ...

Otherwise it gets messy because mirrors have different file structures, so
just using CNAME's wont work.

And that's the problem... But we could possibly work with them to get
this working - at least for http this is relatively trivial (just
setup a virtual domain for whatever global name we would decide on
like mirror.centos.org).

Except that is not what we do for mirror.centos.org - all those are our servers.

The trouble I see is that if a user doesnt have a local mirror or
local copy of a set if isos then downloading the packages individually
from a mirror may be less efficient than downloading an iso / set of isos,
and certainly without mirror redirect and fastestmirror it is a non starter ...

There aren't that many files on a cd, so the extra time spent opening
closing connections shouldn't really be significant - unless you have
an extremely big pipe.  But - yes - we would want each user to use the
closest possible mirror.

The fedora guys have beern working on stuff that we also ought to look at
, and we should look at metalinks while we are at it.

No idea what this is... :-)

https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/revisor

I dont really think it is the same thing ...

and http://www.metalinker.org/

eg http://www.metalinker.org/samples/CentOS-4.4-i386-binDVD.iso.metalink

Regards
Lance

--
uklinux.net -
The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.