Re: Difference between vi an vim on Centos5?

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007, Sebastian Marten wrote:

On 5 vi have no syntax highlighting while vim have it.

Whats wrong?

In CentOS 4, by default vi is aliased to vim. The unaliased vi does not have syntax highlighting.

Could it be that vi is not aliased to vim by default in CentOS 5? Run the 'alias' command to see a list of aliases. If you want to alias vi to vim, just run: alias vi=vim

I believe that root is the only user where this happens ...

That is correct, with a non-root user it works.

I know *nix is all about letting you do it your own way, but imo root ought to have as few aliases, odd $PATH entries, special shell functions, etc. as possible. The fewer abstractions, the better, so you don't have to think much about what you're *really* doing when you're mucking about as root.

Even the RHEL standard shell aliases (e.g., rm="rm -i") strike me as too much for root. If I want vim, I ought to invoke "vim," not "vi."

That's doubly or trebly true in a multi-platform environment with several sysadmins. Who really wants to have to document and remember all the special instructions associated root's command-line environment with each released version of $LINUX_DISTRO and/or Solaris and/or $BSD and/or OS X?

But that's just me...

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein@xxxxxxxxxx <> www.madboa.com