Re: Why so many updates already for CentOS 5

Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
On 4/13/07, John Summerfield <debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1.  People want the versions of files on the CentOS to discs to match
> the upstream versions for software control

Some do, some don't. Some download at work and install at home. There's
75 Mbytes of updates wouldn't get to my machines at home.
An updates repo in the collection would be a handy compromise, I think I
suggested this a while ago.

It sounds nice but has too many problems in implimintation:

1) Anaconda does not deal with updates during install. Upgrades need
to be placed in the main trees and the disk would need to be respun
regularly.  My memory is a bit weak here, but I think that trying to
add the code to deal with 'updates' during install seems to have
caused a lot of 'exceptions' in the Fedora code and causes anaconda to
be even more memory happy.

Having them present is a great start.

2) Respinning the disks breaks upstream compatibility that a lot of
ISV software looks for to see if a system is 'supported' and will run
on it.

Specifically what? /updates in the root directory?

3) If a person installs in 3 weeks from now when say another 75-200 MB
of updates are available.. it doesnt help any (especially if those
updates cover a lot of what was on the disk).

It's a good start.

4) An updates iso might be possible, but it is more disk space on
overtaxed servers and more work for the 3-10 core people.

use of jigdo can alleviate the first. A script run weekly by crontab would likely be enough.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait