Re: minimize download bandwidth techniques

Wojtek.Pilorz wrote:
On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, John R Pierce wrote:
Dale Sykora wrote:
I know of a few techniques for minimizing server bandwidth when
bittorent is not an option.

1) If you have the beta isos, you can rename them as centos 5 isos and
then rsync from a mirror that allows rsync (such as kernel.org).  Then
only changes from beta to centos 5 plus some overhead is downloaded.  I
suppose you could use this technique with bittorrent too.
if one file near the beginning of the ISO changes size by even a block, then the whole rest of the ISO will be different, this will gain you nothing.
With bittorrent, that is perhaps true.
Rsync will be able to handle that difference. But if most RPMs are rebuild that it will have not much matching data.

By way of example, I had a recent daily build of Debian Etch (mid March). When Debian released (must be a blue moon!) earlier this week, I rsynced the three DVD images. rsync did it really quickly, and claimed over 1 mbyte/sec on an ADSL 256k incoming link.

Another example; a few years ago I had a broken ISO that rsync would not fix, it was the same size and timestamp as the original, and checksumming was forbidden.

I pruned a little off by copying about 1k less with dd, then rsync did fix it. (wonders why touch didn't work. hmm.)

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait