Re: Looking for a good disk exerciser

Mark Hull-Richter wrote:

    If the drive supports SMART, smartctl should be able to test it and
    display the diagnostics.  I'd try to get a replacement before the
    warranty expires.

But of course!

What's interesting is that I currently have the SMART in the BIOS disabled, and the disk says it doesn't support SMART capability (per smartctl). I don't know if that's because the BIOS SMART is disabled, but I'm still going to put some pressure on it.

A real simple test for dumb drives is:
cat /dev/hda >/dev/null
        ^^^^ change appropriately for the device
and watch for errors to show up in /var/log/messages or dmesg.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx