Re: CentOS 5 64-bits support (desktop environment)

On 4/11/07, Jim Perrin <jperrin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Better than what?

Than CentOS 4 and its package management concerning 32-bits and
64-bits packages in the same machine.

> How is Upstream package selection comparing 32-bits and 64-bits editions?

Not quite sure what you mean here.

The package selection for 32-bits and 64-bits are quite the same or
there are important differences? Example: no Acroread (-plugin), no
Flash plugin for Firefox, etc. Well, that is an important difference
for some users (maybe most).
Ok, now I see you've answered this below.

SLED deals pretty well with this - like firefox 32-bits and
flash/acroread out of the box. I like the way it deals with 32 bits
and 64 bits coexisting in the same machine.

> Should we expect third-party repositories (mainly rpmforge) to better
> support 64-bits packages?

rpmforge has always had good 64bit support.

> I want to figure out if I should use CentOS/RHEL 5 x86_64 in desktop
> environment.

You'll probably run into the same issues as centos4 for desktop use.
Still no 64bit flash, not too many browser goodies, etc. The basic
stuff works fine, it's the 'free proprietary' software where the issue
is mostly.

Thanks
Leonardo