Re: Re: Centos 5 timeline?

Scott Silva wrote:

If everyone had a threaded mail client, you could just reply with no previous
content, and follow the thread.

Not really. Threads fork, as you and I reply to Fred, then Joanna replies to both...

Besides the random nature of folk's replies to the thread, the order of email set to point A (centos.org in this case) to point B (my email server at ns.demo.lan - yes, that's where my email goes to) is not guaranteed.

A server along the way finds the end-point is unreachable, the mail's queued. Next time, the path is clear and the mail goes straight through. Some time later (an hour or so), it retries queued mail and it goes through.

Often, the head of thread is well down the queue by the time it arrives here. My example is extreme - ns.demo.lan is both behind a firewall, and separated from the Internet by a dialup modem. Often, it's only up four hours in the day.

Less extreme examles abound - how often does Google.com fail to resolve on one attempt, then work fine the next?

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait