Re: How to resolve an up2date package conflict?

Hi,

>have you tried using yum as root in the shell?
>aka:
>yum install gcc cpp <whatever else you want>

I had not, but I did so just now, and this does yield some interesting results. When doing exactly the above, i.e. "yum install gcc cpp", at first it comes a long way, until it hits the point where it tries to install libobjc, which results in the following output:

---> Downloading header for libobjc to pack into transaction set.
libobjc-3.4.6-3.1.i386.rp 100% |=========================| 33 kB 00:00
---> Package libobjc.i386 0:3.4.6-3.1 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: gcc = 3.4.5 for package: libtool
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: gcc = 3.4.5 is needed by package libtool

Hah, again the dreaded libtool dependency....

Subsequently executing: "yum install libtool", results in:
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
Parsing package install arguments
Nothing to do

Doing a "yum update libtool" or "yum upgrade libtool" doesn't do any magic either.

Nowwww, when checking the man pages, I do notice several ways of cleaning yum's cache (like "yum clean packages" etc., and also a way to remove packages "yum remove libtool"), but I am not certain doing this is the best of ideas...

So... is there perhaps any way I can force re-install libtool, or otherwise fix the conflicting dependencies (as a comparison, I am looking for something like FreeBSDs ports mechanism where one can most of the time nicely perform a "make", "make deinstall", "make reinstall" sequence to get rid of similar dependency issues)?

Cheers and tnx,
Olafo