Re: Centos really slow as VMware Server guest OS..

On 3/31/07, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Give it more RAM, put the disk image on a faster drive.  All the things
that apply to real systems still have the same effects.

I gave it 1 Gb and vmfs is on SCSI RAID 0 (test node),  oldish but not too much  2/2x2.88 Xeon PowerEdge that runs 2 moderatly loaded 4-node W2003 clusters with MS SQL quite well. A single instance of CentOS 4.4 on the same ESX 2.5.4 is quite a load already. Everything is slow. Right now I am reading docs trying to find ways to tune it up.
The only advice from this rookie is to backup the gold master before you crash it by updating to a new kernel or install VM Tools from a newer WS or Server. Those are reported to be peppier with RHEL than the ones from ESX.