Re: Create CD from avi files

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
I have avi files in xVid format from my Camera, and I want to create a Video CD that can be viewed on any CD player.

I have searched through the various repos (including rpmforage and kbsingh) and did not find anything that would burn.

I have a number of programs that have no trouble displaying these files. Including xzine, Avidemux, and VideoLAN-Client).

I unfortunately have to make these CDs for tomorrow morning, 8am for my wife to take to her class....

well, I know nothing about Linux video tools, but I can tell you that you'll have to convert them from XVID (MPEG4 streams embedded in AVI format) to straight MPEG1, 352x240(NTSC) or 352x288 (PAL), 25 or 30 FPS, at a specific videoCD profile, constant bandwidth of 1.150 Mbit/sec with MPEG layer 2 audio at 224kbit/sec (xvid probably uses Mpeg Layer 3 audio, which is incompatible with the strict VideoCD specification).. THEN you need to embed these in a VideoCD disk format, which is a CD/XA Mode II Form II format, rather than the more conventional redbook CD-Rom aka ISO9660.]

AND, most CD players don't play VideoCD... SOME(many?) DVD players do, however.

If you were on Microsoft Windows, I'd probably suggest using Nero Vision Express (part of Nero Ultra, $$) to do this, it will generate either proper VideoCD or DVD Video formats from AVI files, but there's dozens of other tools suitable for video trans coding (the Nero stuff does a very decent job on the video compression if you set its options for 2 pass and best quality).