Re: Re: software raid

John R Pierce wrote:

One drawback is software raid wants a single ide device on each ide channel. This means buying an ide card (if you want more than two devices) which doesn't always play well with the rest of the system (4+ ide devices). Some mainboards might have more than two ide channels, but I just opted for the cheap ide card.

thats easy. SATA. one device per channel. you can get 8 ports or more of SATA on a PCI-X or PCI-Express x4 card. parallel IDE is dead.

except, I've never heard of any such limitation, other than the potential performance bottleneck.

One drive going down on a IDE channel can take the whole channel due to the controller being confused or what not. This is why you get RAID (real and fake) boards with 4 or more channels on which to connect a single IDE drive.