Re: software raid

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 at 12:17pm, chrism@xxxxxxxxx wrote

I keep hearing about this "slowness" thing. Here is a bonnie++ run on one of my spare machines. This particular machine is also running 4 copies of Folding@Home in the background during the test. The array being tested is on a 3Ware 9550 card with 8 500gig barracudas. The filesystem is a standard ext3 filesystem with zero tweaks. It doesn't appear that slow to me, but perhaps I'm just easy to please.

The problem was particularly pronounced on the 75xx/85xx series cards (which were not exactly RAID5 speed demons). XFS blew away ext3 on hardware RAID5 arrays on those cards. I don't have any benchmarks handy on 95xx series cards, bit I vaguely recall that XFS still performed better, but not by anywhere near the same margin.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering